HISTORY OF HUD COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT BLOCK GRANT
In June of 1974 President Gerald R. Ford announced the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974. The historic legislation was passed by the Congress to assist our cities and counties prioritize and plan growth so to improve and develop areas where low and moderate income households reside; benefit persons earning a household income at or below the 80% median income by area; prevent or eliminate areas of slum and blight, or address a specific urgent and unforeseen community need. Under the Act, the Office of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Office of Community Planning Development administers the Community Development Block Grant award, an annual Entitlement Grant awarded to communities who meet certain criteria such as; a 50,000 plus population, the vicinity to an urban area, the level of economic decline, the age of housing stock, and the concentration of low and moderate income residents. The State of Connecticut receives Small Cities Grant which towns and cities under 50,000 can apply to for a grant to complete specific community development projects or programs.
Every five years a Consolidated Strategic Plan including a Needs Assessment and a Housing Market Analysis, and an update to the Analysis of Impediments, a fair housing assessment, is prepared. The CDBG program follows a public participation process to solicit from the public and agencies feedback and input on housing and community needs to set goals for the new five year period. The Plan goals establishs priorities for the City to allocate its annual CDBG award during the Annual Action Plan process.
In February of each year the annual planning and public participation process to prepare the Annual Action Plan begins with an announcement or Notice of Available Funding (NOFA) from HUD for the grant year beginning Oct 1. At that time a public hearing date is scheduled, the CDBG Program Year schedule is posted along with the annual grant application and program guidelines with a due date. The Notice is published and sent to interested parties such as previous grant recipients, the public, local non-profit organizations, business organizations, agencies and municipal departments and elected officials. Those who attend are may discuss community needs as they related to the Five-year Strategic Plan goals and present the grant application submitted to the Milford Economic & Community Development staff and the Housing Partnership Committee. The information provided is considered when making grant allocation recommendations for Board of Alderman approval in July or August. The Plan is due to HUD by August 15th. HUD has 45 days to respond to the Plan. The CDBG program year begins on October 1 and ends September 30. Durning the program year each recipient is responsible for reporting on and expending the grant award prior to the year cut-off date of September 15th. HUD assesses quarterly reports of activity accomplishments and expenditures on August 2 and throughout the year. A Consolidated Annual Performance Evaluation Report (CAPER) is due to HUD 90 days after the end of the program year. HUD reviews the CAPER to determine whether the City has managed the funds satisfactorily and is meeting the ffive year and annual goals its sets based on public participation.
For information on CDBG Housing program(s), a listing of affordable housing in Milford and and CT 8-30g statutory regulations, income and rent calculator go to City of Milford Housing link. https://www.ci.milford.ct.us/economic-and-community-development/pages/cdbg-housing-programs-and-fair-market-rent-fmr-income-guide For more information please contact Sheila Dravis, CDBG Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
FY21 PY47 CDBG Annual Action Plan & Public Participation Process Begins February 2021
- CDBG PY2020-24 Consolidated Plan Presentation - Feb-2020
- CDBG PY2020-24 Consolidated Plan Community Survey Results - Feb-20
- FY2020-2024 Five Year Strategic Consolidated Plan Executive Summary, Public Comment, Appendix A - Aug-20
- FY2020-2024 Five Year Strategic Executive Summary, Appendix B & C - Aug-20
- FY2020-2024 Five Year Strategic Consolidated Plan - Aug-20
- FY2020-21 PY46 Annual Action Plan Narrative (AAP) Appendix A, Appendix B & Appendix C - Aug-20
- 2020 CDBG-CV CARES Act HUD Submission of Substantial Amendment to PY45 Annual Action Plan
- 2020 CDBG-CV Environmental Review
- Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing (AI) Updated July 2020
- Citizen Participatin Plan 2020 - Amended May 2020
- 2020-21 PY46 Environmental Review Public Notice
- 2020-21 PY46 Environmental Review & RROF
- 2019-20 PY45 CAPER Content Page & Narrative Report with Project Pictures
- 2019-20 PY45 CAPER Cover Letter & HUD-4949.1 Grantee Performance Form - Posted when comment period ends
- 2019-20 PY45 CAPER IDIS Report PR03 Activty Accomplishment Report
- 2019-20 PY45 CAPER IDIS Report PRO6 Consolidated Plan Projects, PR23 Summary Activity Disbursement
- 2019-20 PY45 CAPER IDIS Report PR26 Financial Report, Section 3 HUD 60000, Notice of Citizen Participation & Comment
SUBRECIPIENT PROGRAM FORMS
- HUD Income Limits - Updated 4/21
- Household Certification Form - updated 5/20
- PY46 SubRecipient Activity Report Form
- PY46 SubRecipient Request for Payment Form