Elevation Certificates

What You Need to Know

10/2017:  Updated Policy on Elevation Certificates with Engineered Openings:

We have updated our policy on accepting elevation certificates (EC) that include engineered openings to reflect compliance with FEMA regulations.

FEMA will consider EC’s which include Engineered Openings incomplete if they do not include ICC Evaluation Service Reports (available from the manufacturer) or a certification from a PE attached. A photo of the manufacturer’s plate attached to the Unit (which should still be provided) is not sufficient. EC’s which include Engineered Openings will be rejected as incomplete if they do not have the ICC Evaluation Service Report or PE certification attached.

Additional information about these requirements is referenced in FEMA’s Technical Bulletin 1, Openings in Foundation Walls and Walls of Enclosures, available at https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/20130726-1502-20490-9949/fema_tb_1__1_.pdf

Page links also updated as necessary
----End update

Milford, in following the regulations established by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), requires that all new buildings and substantial improvements to buildings in the Special Flood Hazard Area are properly elevated.  An official record of elevation must be kept on file at Parsons.  As Milford participates in FEMA's Community Rating Service we are required to use the Elevation Certificate form developed and issued by FEMA.

Elevation Certificates must be filled out completely & correctly.  Ensuring that your forms are in order before requesting a Certificate of Occupancy will save all parties time and effort.

On December 8th 2016 the City of Milford offered a workshop on how to properly fill out an elevation certificate.  A copy of that presentation can be found here. There is also a printable version available with less photos. All of the links shown in the presentation are listed below:

Intro & Helpful Tips


Section A Property Information


Section B Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) Information

Under effective products choose FIRM panels for official maps.  The first map on the list is the Index Map for New Haven county.  The interactive map is used for creating Firmettes.


Section C Building Elevation Information (Survey Required)


For further questions contact:

Joseph Griffith Director, Dept of Permitting and Land Use 203-783-3225

Greg Pidluski P.E.L.S., C.F.M, City Engineer 203-783-3261