Who Can Get a Birth Certificate?


Who Can Obtain a Certified Birth Record?

For Birth Records that are more than 100 years old (a birth date of 1896 and earlier), any person can obtain a copy.


For Birth Records less than 100 years old, only the following people can obtain a certified copy:

  • Person who is the subject of the birth certificate ("registrant") and is 18 years of age or older
  • Parent, Guardian, Grandparent or Spouse
  • Child or Grandchild and 18 years of age or older
  • Attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's parent, guardian, child or surviving spouse
  • A state or federal agency employee with an authorized release from registrant who is 18 years of age or older
  • Local Health Director of town/city where birth occurred or where mother was a resident at the time of birth
  • Chief Elected Official of town/city where birth occurred or authorized agent
  • Title Examiners
  • Members of Incorporated Genealogical Societies Authorized to Conduct Business in Connecticut


What Information Is Needed To Obtain A Birth Certificate?

Click here for an application

  • Full name at birth (first, middle, last)
  • Date of Birth
  • Place of birth (Name of the Connecticut Hospital and/or the Town or City in Connecticut where born)
  • Father's full name (including middle name)
  • Mother's full name (including middle name & maiden name)
  • Telephone number where you can be reached if submitting request by mail
  • Photographic identification of requester. Please note that if the last name of requester is different from the last name of registrant, proof of relationship is required.


What If I Do Not Have A Photographic Identification?

Originals or photocopies of two (2) of the following documents are required in lieu of a photographic identification:

(1)  social security card
(2)  social security card supplemented with either an employment identification card, a paycheck stub or a W-2 form.  ote: Providing the documents in this subdivision fully satisfies the
      identification requirements of this section
(3)  automobile registration
(4)  copy of utility bill showing name and current address
(5)  checking account deposit slip or bank statement stating name and current address
(6)  voter registration card
(7)  valid government issued trade or professional license
(8)  valid government issued firearm permit
(9)  probation documents issued by a court or other government agency, pursuant to a criminal conviction
(10)  letter from a government agency verifying identity.  The letter shall be dated within six months prior to the date of the request
(11)  release documentation from a correctional institution containing a photograph of the former inmate and a release date within 12 months prior to the date of the request
(12)  birth certificate of the requester
(13)  military discharge papers
(14)  current school or college photographic identification or
(15)  government issued photographic identification that has expired within 12 months prior to the date of the request.

This means that all persons shall provide documentation proving that they are entitled to a copy of or access to birth certificates just as they always have:  the person whose birth is recorded if over 18 years of age; his or her parent, or guardian if a minor, such persons, children, grandchildren, spouse; Chief Executive Officer of Municipality or his authorized Agent, the local Director of Health; Attorneys at Law; Title examiners; and members of legally incorporated genealogical societies shall have access to and be permitted to examine the original or any copy of the birth certificate of any person when they provide our office with proper and prescribed documentation of the identity.


What Is the Fee?

  • $20.00 for a Full size Birth Certificate that has parents' information 
  • $15.00 for a Wallet size Birth Certificate that does not have parents' information 

If paying by check, please make payable to the Milford City Clerk.

You many apply in person at the Clerk's Office or mail your request to the Milford City Clerk, 70 West River Street, Milford, CT 06460 and include:

  • completed application
  • check or money order
  • self-addressed, stamped envelope
  • daytime phone number 
  • photocopy of the front of your Driver's License