Household Sewer Back Up Protocol

The first step if you ever have sewage back up at your home is to call Milford’s Wastewater Division at 783-3263 or after hours (7:00am-3:30 pm Mon. through Fri.) call the Fire Department at 878-5991 and they will contact Wastewater personnel.

We will check the main sewer line and if there is a problem there we will correct it.

If it is not a problem in the main line, you will need to call a licensed plumber to come out and determine what the problem is.  If the plumber determines the problem is in the sewer line going from the house to the sewer main in the street he should use a sewer snake to clear the blockage and allow the line to drain.  At some point in this process the plumber may determine that the blockage was in the city’s portion of the sewer lateral.  If this is the case you should contact us again at 783-3263 between 7:00 am -3:30 pm Monday through Friday.