Welcome to Milford's Planning and Zoning office.
The Planning and Zoning Office ensures the health, safety and welfare of the community by enhancing and protecting Milford’s quality of life through:
- Responsible growth and development
- An attractive built environment
- Preservation of Milford’s unique character and natural environments
Planning and Zoning regulates the activities allowed on properties in MIlford as well as where structures can be located. You should obtain planning and zoning approval before construction, reconstruction, extension, enlargement, moving, or altering any building or another structure, as well as prior to the use or occupancy of any land, building, or other structure.
In addition, we investigate violations of the city's zoning regulations. To report a zoning violation, please complete this form.
Among the regulations enforced by this office are our flood hazard regulations. Milford's extensive shoreline means that we are subject to numerous federal, state, and local standards for activity within a flood zone. We also maintain flood maps indicating flood zones for properties in Milford. Flood maps can be viewed our offices and on-line at www.msc.fema.gov
The planning and zoning office staffs two boards:
- The Planning and Zoning Board, which drafts zoning regulation changes, approves site plans, and issues special permits and special exception permits and
- The Zoning Board of Appeals, which hears appeals of zoning officer decisions and considers variances to certain property requirements based on hardships associated with the size, shape, or another physical element of the lot.
Links for these boards, as well as to the regulations enforced by this office, are provided in the links to the left.
For additional questions, please contact our staff.