Renters' Rebate is a state funded program of reimbursement for elderly or totally disabled Connecticut renters. This program is designed to supplement rent and utility payments by reimbursing a portion of their limited income. Elderly or disabled individuals who rent apartments or houses, rent rooms, live in cooperative housing, or rent a mobile home may be eligible for this program. The amount awarded to the renter is calculated on the previous year’s rent and utility payments. The Department of Human Services serves as an official intake site for the Connecticut Office of Policy and Management. The Renters' Rebate program runs annually from April 1st through October1st. To inquire about eligibility or to schedule an appointment, please contact The Department of Human Services at 203-783-3253.
For the 2021 Renters' Rebate Program applications will need to provide the following documents in order to submit and process your Renters' Rebate application.
Verification of all 2020 Income which may include the following:
- SSA 1099 – Social Security Benefit for 2020
- Income tax documents for 2020 (if filed)
- 1099-R of pension benefits for 2020
Verification of all rent paid in 2020 (from January to December)
- This may be cancelled checks, rent receipts, or a letter from the landlord stating amount of rent paid for the year
Verification of all utilities paid in 2020 (from January to December) to include heat, water, oil, and utilities
- This may be a payment history from the utility companies or all utility bills from 2020. (This can include any Energy Assistance payments.)
Disabled individuals under 65 must also provide:
- SSI/SSDI benefit statement for 2020
- Current proof of disability
Individuals in nursing homes must also provide:
- Letter from health care facility, signed by an administrator that indicates dates spouse was in facility and date resident went on Title XIX
- Title XIX verification
- If renting from a relative, the relative/landlord must provide their 1040 and Schedule E from tax return.
|Renters' Rebate Application||106.14 KB|