The Community Health Division of the Milford Health Department seeks to influence those social norms that provide a framework for health promotion and disease prevention across life stages. The Community Health Coordinator works collaboratively with community-based organizations to foster the development and implementation of programs and strategies that enable healthy individual behaviors. Programmatic areas include nutrition and physical activity, chronic disease prevention and control, infectious diseases, and maternal & child health.
The Community Health Division focuses on three major areas:
Communicable Disease Surveillance & Reporting
- Submits reports of infectious diseases such as chicken pox, sexually transmitted infections and Hepatitis A, B and C, to the state health department.
- Provides counseling and referral services to ensure that residents are receiving proper medical care and follow up.
- Monitor disease-reporting by physicians and laboratories in order to detect trends and the impact of disease in our community.
Health Promotion & Education
- Coordinate community health education programs.
- Submit grant applications to obtain funds to support various public health initiatives including asthma programs, physical activity programs, and emergency preparedness.
|Deepa D. Joseph, MPH|