The City of Milford is closely monitoring the outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a new coronavirus, COVID-19. The Milford Health Department is in close communication with the CT Department of Public Health (DPH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to ensure the health and safety of our community.
The 2019 novel coronavirus typically causes mild to severe respiratory symptoms including fever, cough and shortness of breath. At this time, there is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19 infection nor is there specific treatment. Based on current information from the CDC, symptoms of COVID-19 may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure. Transmission is thought to happen mainly through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes, similar to how influenza and other respiratory illnesses spread.
The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. The Milford Health Department encourages everyone to practice good respiratory etiquette and to follow the precautions below to prevent illnesses such as influenza and COVID-19.
- Maintain social distancing, keep 6’ between you and others.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol based hand sanitizer if soap and water are unavailable.
- Stay home if you are sick. Do not go to work or school.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue.
- Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces. (e.g., tables, countertops, light switches, doorknobs, and cabinet handles)
- Monitor travel alerts issued by the CDC specific to COVID-19 if you are planning trips, particularly for the upcoming breaks. These alerts can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html.
If you suspect you have been exposed to the COVID-19, please contact your health provider.
For additional information, please visit the following resources:
CT Department of Public Health: https://portal.ct.gov/DPH/Public-Health-Preparedness/Main-Page/2019-Nove...
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
Letters & Advisories from the Milford Health Department:
Milford Public School COVID-19 Information:
City of Milford Information and Press Releases
Information for List of Disinfectants Approved for Use Against COVID-19 (Coronavirus):
Municipal COVID 19 Infographic
Click here to see real time data for Milford- a cumulative COVID 19 Infographic
CT Department of Public Health Data
Click here to see statewide COVID 19 data