EVOLUTION OF THE MILFORD CITY SEAL
February 12, 1639
Founding of colony called Wepowage, the Indian name for the river that flowed through the settlement.
November 24, 1640
The General Court voted to change the name to Milford and adopted the letters MF as the official seal.
June 19, 1916
Voters, in a Town Meeting, adopted the Seal of the Town of Milford; an emblem in the shape of an octagon, in the center of which there shall be a shield bearing the letters MF, being the Seal adopted by the original settlers...In the strap of the octagon the following Latin words to appear:;Sigill Oppidi Milford in Repub Connecticutensi (Seal of the Town of Milford in the Republic of Connecticut) also the date 1639, and the bow and arrow of Ansantawae.
The octagonal shape honors Robert Treat of Milford who served Connecticut for 32 years as Deputy Governor and Governor and whose personal seal was of that form. He was also Milford's first Town Clerk.
The bow and arrow are in memory of Paugusset Indian Sachem Ansantawae who drew them as his mark on the deed for the sale of the land to the settlers in 1639.
November 4, 1959
Electors voted to change from a Town Government to a City Government, consequently, the Latin wording in the octagon became Sigill Urbis Milford in Repub Connecticutensi (Seal of the City of Milford in the Republic of Connecticut).