Welcome to Milford
Milford is often touted as the “ Small City with a Big Heart”. Strolling through downtown, you'll experience both the charm of a small town and the history of an English settlement dating back to 1639.
Milford is in the midst of an economic renaissance with an explosion of new businesses moving into town. Our business development significantly outpaces all other surrounding Connecticut towns and our commercial spaces have an impressive 96 percent occupancy rate. Last year we saw over $100 million in new construction, and over the past two years, we’ve inspired a 26 percent increase in new business growth above and beyond what Milford has ever experienced. As a result of the influx of new businesses and the expansion of existing businesses, our Grand List swells. This growth has translated into a tax cut for all residents and businesses this year. As we continue to reduce Milford’s mill rate, which, at 27.84 mills, is already far less than any of our neighboring communities, businesses continue to invest in the community because of the low cost of doing business here.
- Location - Milford is located right off Connecticut’s major roadways I-95, the Merritt Parkway and US 1. The main railroad line, served by Amtrak and MetroNorth, runs right through the heart of our quaint downtown area, quickly linking you to Boston or New York. Major airports Bradley, JFK, TF Green, LaGuardia, Newark and regional airports like Tweed New Haven and Sikorsky are easily accessed by car or train for business or pleasure. Deep-water ports are right next door in New Haven and Bridgeport.
Strong labor force - A strong labor force supports growing industries in Connecticut such as energy, manufacturing and technology. Nestled between globally lauded and recognized colleges and universities there is no shortage of employees ready to take your company to the next level. That's why over three thousand businesses call Milford home.
- Available land and buildings - There is an inventory of existing buildings in a variety of sizes zoned for manufacturing, retail, commercial or office. For specific information on available buildings and sites, click on the link above to CERC and click on "Sitefinder".
Range of housing - A variety of single-family homes, a wide range of condominiums, and apartments are available.
- Education - A solid public education system, private schools in town or close by, a state vocational-technical school, and higher education in neighboring communities with 10 colleges and universities within a 20-minute drive including Yale.
Quality of life - Coastal New England atmosphere, invigorating cultural climate, multi-level sports involvement, concern for the environment, sense of history, beaches and boating, varied shopping and restaurant experience, all in Milford.
- Bids - Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program
- CT Department of Economic and Community Development
- Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program
- Connecticut Procurement Technical Assistance Program
- Connecticut Small Business Development Center
- Disaster Relief Resource Information
- Downtown Milford Business Association
- Energy Advisory Board
- Fair Housing Information
- Financing & Incentives For Your Business
- Free Small Business Administration Workshops
- Greater New Haven Chamber of Commerce
- Housing Programs & Affordable Housing Information
- How to Start, Expand, or Relocate a Business
- Milford Arts Council
- Milford Chamber of Commerce
- New Haven County Tourism
- SCORE-Business Advice
- Sustainable Milford
- TOD Planning Grant/Downtown Development
- To Find Available Commercial Property in Milford
- Visit Connecticut
- Walnut Beach Association
News & Announcements
- Women's Business Development Council, City of Milford & Chamber of Commerce to host Business Series
- EXPORT FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR CONNECTICUT SMALL BUSINESSES
- 2017 CTrides Transportation Showcase
- Economic Development Commission takes on the Harbor
- City of Milford and the Milford Regional Chamber of Commerce Partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration to Host a Series of Free Workshops